Take Aways & "George"

 The novel, George, offered tells the story of a young 'man' who felt that he did not fit into who he was; he saw himself as a young lady. While reading this novel, I noticed that this was the first piece of literature I have EVER read that even touched on this subject. To me, George is a story about compassion, bravery, and accepting yourself & others-- all critical and key ideas in Middle and High School literature. However, this novel is continuously banned--which makes me wonder, 'how would you feel as a child who felt they had gender dysphoria or identified as non-binary or cis-gender and your school was fighting to ban a book like George'. Or, imagine if George (the character) learned his school was trying to ban a book like this? In George, the readers can see a clear change in the character once he sees that his principal is a supporter of transgender--but imagine if your school principal/administrator was trying to ban a book like George. Not only is the material in George so very important, but banning George sends a very hurtful message to so many students.

As I have shared several times throughout this semester, I am an English and Secondary Education major, and next year I will be teaching 6th, 7th, and 8th grade English at a Middle School in Baltimore. This course and these novels have caused me to rethink, reconsider and reevaluate what novels I should teach. I truly want to teach The Hate U Give and George-- two novels I had never heard of until this semester. However, and this is the unfortunate side of teaching, I worry about what will my principal, parents, and administration say? Will this look bad as a first-year teacher? I can't stand that I have to question these novels, but as an educator, especially a first-year teacher, there is an element of fear over uproar and politics. 

Throughout the semester, I have wondered, How Do We Fix This? How do we stop Banning Books? How do we stop Banning Black authors and LGBTQ+ authors? Or how do we stop limiting stories about Black joy and homosexual relationships? And, I don't have an answer for this. I don't know if parents and principals will grow concerned when I teach The Hate U Give in my 8th Grade ELA Class. But I do know that it is my responsibility to continue to fight for these novels and to embrace and teach Black, female, and  LGBTQ+ authors. 

One of my favorite quotes is from Martin Luther, and it states, "If you want to change the world, then pick up a pen and writer" this quote embodies what Alex Gino, Nikki Grimes, Lauren Myracle, Raina Telgemeier, Angie Thomas, and Alice Walker are doing. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Ban Bronx Masquerade?

Charlotte is Dead and Why That is Real

Two Main Insights for CRT Dialogue