Melissa and Miranda's Takeaways

 

    Melissa is an incredible, welcoming, and charismatic character to use as an example (not an exemplar) to help any child struggling with their gender identity.

     Although Gino only writes from one perspective, they capture what I believe to be very poignant reflections on identity and finding that identity through adolescence. What I appreciate MOST about Gino's writing is the way they captured Melissa's feelings about her identity through feelings. Gino puts words to the feelings of genderqueerness, which would give transkids the language to express the feelings of discomfort within their bodies. On pages 89 and 90, the conflict of gender is described through the medium of sensations. "'I'll bet he read the stupid spider's part by mistake!' Jeff smirked. 'he's such a freaking girl anyway...' but George stood, stuck in place. The hairs on her arms stood straight up, and the back of her neck tingled." Melissa experiences the rushes of confirmation of her gender from the bullies, then the shame of it being seen as 'wrong', and then the fear of coming out or being forced out. When Gino writes these experiences somatically, it helps kids understand their feelings and relate to the conflict that may be present within their own minds. 

    As someone with an AFAB brother. I loved this book. I felt like it encapsulated that experience and that struggle growing up. It takes great courage to come out as trans, especially as a kid, and especially now. I remember taking the time to educate my parents on my brother's preferences, his pronouns as they evolved, and his chosen name as he was finding it. There are times when I worry about him. I worry about the disproportionate amount of violence that he will face. I worry about how he's perceived by my family. especially the older generation. I worry about making sure he's comfortable in what he wears and what he does to express himself. But I ultimately know that he will be okay. He has the confidence and the courage to start forging his own path. Some might consider Melissa's mom a transphobe, but part of me understands her hesitation. There are worries. I have worried them. I think Melissa's mom could have been more supportive, yes, but ultimately there are greater concerns about protecting her child from violence than being transphobic.

    I think there are many takeaways from this course. But the biggest thing I can think of is this: reality makes you smarter. When we censor other realities we promote a culture of ignorance. We limit resources that may help others, we prevent perspectives from marginalized voices, we allow the spread of misinformation. Banning books is an act of censorship. Especially when they are being banned for reasons as shallow as 'diverse content' or 'sexually explicit.' Books are banned to continue a social hierarchy that is present in America. Books that challenge that hierarchy are banned because they threaten a status quo and threaten white-cis-male perspective that is present throughout so many American novels. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Ban Bronx Masquerade?

Charlotte is Dead and Why That is Real

Two Main Insights for CRT Dialogue