Poetry functions as a creative outlet for those who have experienced trauma; and readers are able to relate to these anecdotes and poems about suffering and traumatic events. The English class in Bronx Masquerade use writing as a form of escape, allowing them to purge their emotions onto a piece of paper. Three of the most memorable stories were those of Chankara Troupe, Gloria Martinez, and Amy Moskowitz. Chankara shares her story of the violence she suffered when she told a boy to stop touching her: “Now I’ve got this ugly tattoo on my cheek. I thought about skipping school today, but I hate to miss English” (Grimes 14). It is clear that she values English class because it is a way to express to the class what she is going through when reading her poem “Bruised Love.” She has faced violence that people reading could relate to, whether it is with a romantic partner, a friend, or even a family member. Another character, Gloria, recently had a baby and makes grocery lists in class,...
Comments
Post a Comment