Poetry as an Outlet

Poetry functions as a creative outlet for those who have experienced trauma; and readers are able to relate to these anecdotes and poems about suffering and traumatic events. The English class in Bronx Masquerade use writing as a form of escape, allowing them to purge their emotions onto a piece of paper. Three of the most memorable stories were those of Chankara Troupe, Gloria Martinez, and Amy Moskowitz.

Chankara shares her story of the violence she suffered when she told a boy to stop touching her: “Now I’ve got this ugly tattoo on my cheek. I thought about skipping school today, but I hate to miss English” (Grimes 14). It is clear that she values English class because it is a way to express to the class what she is going through when reading her poem “Bruised Love.” She has faced violence that people reading could relate to, whether it is with a romantic partner, a friend, or even a family member. 

Another character, Gloria, recently had a baby and makes grocery lists in class, she states: “I still got two years before I graduate. But I’ve got to make it, and I’ve got to go to college. Period. Angel’s father already told me straight-up that he ain’t having nothing to do with this baby, so it’s on me” (Grimes 42). In her poem “Message to a Friend,” she speaks about all the years she has lost from her life from having a baby so early. Gloria wants nothing more than to persevere, she is determined to graduate and live a normal life. 

Amy explains how her parents’ divorce has affected her: “I haven’t been trying. Not since my parents divorced. I’ve been afraid to get close to anyone. When my mom left, I was suddenly out of orbit. It’s like she was the sun, and when she took off, the only thing left was a big black hole where she used to be” (Grimes 104). She does not go into the specifics about the divorce in her poem “Ode to Stone,” but it is clear that she experiences hurt in some way. Sadly, many children or young adults reading this can relate to her story or any other story shared in the book. Writing, and specifically poetry, can act as a form of catharsis. There is universality in expressing oneself and sharing their trauma with one another is beneficial. 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Ban Bronx Masquerade?

Charlotte is Dead and Why That is Real

Two Main Insights for CRT Dialogue