Lysistrata

Where within I will not be discussing Lysistrata, but continuing the title convention was too good to pass up.

I offer instead for anyone who reads these before class in preparation of the presentation to consider one idea: "clarity" in relation to Lysistrata by Huddleston.

I am partaking in the Bridges program and what strikes me as fascinating is how difficult middle and high school is. It's easy for us to talk about a linear or exponential difficulty curve in school, and while that may be true of the subject material itself, in terms of actual comprehension this does not seem the case. Instead, I struggle to communicate basic ideas succinctly because the learners have not completely adapted to our method of communication yet. They are not underdeveloped in any way, but knowing what you know and knowing what you do not know is a difficult concept. It's difficult to get a student to tell me what they don't know, they just feel a dissatisfaction with the subject. It was also interesting to hear how schools are different; one of my students is taking a yoga class as a school subject and she has to teach a yoga class for a large chunk of her final grade. She communicated how nervous she was, and I did not know how to inform her that a class like that is probably simple to pass if you are as motivated to succeed as she is. Middle and high school can be a burden as you do not realize how difficult the rest of life is or should be compared to it. I hope to get better at communicating through this barrier absent from my interactions between college students.

Also everyone I have met is very sweet and I enjoy doing non-tutoring activities with them like Blackjack or other games. They are genuinely enjoyable people.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Ban Bronx Masquerade?

Charlotte is Dead and Why That is Real

Two Main Insights for CRT Dialogue