Bronx Masquerade

         On monday we discussed the Bronx Masquerade and how it fits in with our list of Banned Books, and I'd say the final third of the book has left me feeling even more frustrated with the banning of this book. This morning I saw an article talking about how anything related to LGBTQ issues has been banned from schools in Florida and it reminded me of our conversation about why censorship of important topics is bad. It angers me to see important issues that affect so many people's lives being barred from getting proper attention in schools. If we do not talk about the important topics that divide us, how will the younger generation understand these issues? 

        I mentioned last class how I feel that a lot of parents don't really understand what the point of education is. I knew so many kids in high school who hated history and English because they didn't understand why it was important to rationally think about issues outside of themselves. This is the true value in education in my opinion. I see this relating back to the Bronx Masquerade, because the classroom setting the kids find themselves in is something I wish every child could experience. These kids are given agency over their writing abilities and are finally able to understand that their words have value. I think that's a beautiful thing, and I think this book could be used to help children understand that. 

    The banning of this book makes it clear that what I envision as the purpose of education is not true in the eyes of others, which is a shame. I have a passion for education because I think kids deserve a chance to find confidence in their abilities regardless of how "applicable" it is to our society. Narrow minded chase for success leaves so many people feeling empty and wondering what exactly they were looking for. I think a proper education should help kids understand that whatever their interest is, it has value. The poetry these students have made have as much value as an essay or test. 

        It is extremely frustrating to see such a joyous and happy book about the value of expressing yourself banned, especially since it provides representation to minorities. It's extremely difficult to not feel like there is no hope for a course correction of our society, but I hope to believe that something can be done to get the material that children need so they can grow to believe in themselves and everything they create.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Ban Bronx Masquerade?

Charlotte is Dead and Why That is Real

Two Main Insights for CRT Dialogue